Welcome to Snarkfest

Welcome to my snarky corner of the web. Join me as I discuss everything from wine to chocolate. There may be a few other topics mixed in there too. I talk a bunch about my amazing offspring, 24 and 21. I sometimes go on and on about my secret crush on the amazing Mike Rowe. I talk about things that irritate me or things that make me happy. Sometimes I just talk to hear myself talk. Feedback is always appreciated but please make sure it's respectable. No nudity or profanity. I'm the only one allowed to be profane. But any and all snark is welcome and appreciated!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Sometimes a Kiss is Just a Kiss...

Watching the Today Show this morning, I saw that this picture of Bill Belichick is causing quite a controversy. Why? Because the camera person snapped a picture of his daughter giving him a celebratory kiss just moments after his New England Patriots had won the Super Bowl.  Why is this controversial? Because their eyes are closed? Because they are kissing on the lips? According to the article, an 'etiquette expert' says it's wrong. Well who died and made her boss?

Maybe lip kissing among parents and children is not something that is widely accepted, but maybe it is. Am I a pervert for kissing my 76-year old mother on the lips when I visit her 3 or 4 times a year? Does that make it something more sinister than an innocent kiss? When my dad was still alive and I'd see him several times a year, I always kissed him on the lips. Does that make it incest? Perverse? My daughters kiss me on the lips. Oh the horror! Who cares? It's our choice and it doesn't make us the creepy people!

If you are a cheek kisser, more power to you. That's awesome. Some families show no affection towards one another. So cheek kissing is fantastic. Some families fight, and that's sad. Other families, like mine, are lip kissers. To us lip kissers, there's nothing wrong, sinister, perverted or incestuous about it. Mouths are closed and it's quick. I can tell right away if someone prefers not to be a lip kisser as I'm going in for the quick peck, so I'll hit the cheek instead. No problem. No harm. No foul.

This picture was snapped in a split second. Eyes are closed because.....PEOPLE BLINK! SHOCKER!! To me, there's nothing wrong at all with this image. It shows a happy father kissing a happy daughter in celebration of a Super Bowl win. Nothing more, nothing less. It should not be compared to Woody Allen's relationship with his step-daughter because the two are nothing alike.

It's just a kiss, folks. Lighten up.

17 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Teri.

    As long as she ain't grabbin' his junk, I think a quick peck on the chops is acceptable in cases like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think that the photographer snapped this and immediately thought, ooooooh this'll stir up some controversy.

      Delete
  2. When I was growing up my family (as in my parents and sister) was the type to hug for annoyance. I think I was 18 before I realized I actually liked hugs. Our lack of affection makes me a little sad, but my daddy bought me a pony so it was okay. (Ha!) I kiss my boys every day, sometimes on the cheek, sometimes on the lips. And lots of hugs and snuggles, of course. And my daddy bought my son a pony. Some things never change.
    And no, I don't really call my dad "daddy". That was sarcasm- which I use to deflect injustice and pain, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to deflect that injustice, girlfriend!! And I hope you're saving up some money now for all the therapy your boys will need because of the lip kissing.

      It's all good as long as nobody is kissing the ponies on the lips!

      Delete
    2. Oh. You're not supposed to do that? Er... well... crap.

      Delete
    3. Shhhhh your secret's safe with me.

      Delete
  3. I kissed my Dad, sometimes on the cheek, and sometimes on the lips. I hugged him and held his hand. I sat in his bed next to him at the end when I taught him how to use his Ipad. Every day, every time I saw him. When I was a little girl, a teenager, an adult, and up until I lost him last July. NOTHING was ever wrong with it.

    With my own boys, I'm what people would call an attachment parent (I guess, I hate labels) and we've always been snugglers, cuddlers, hand holders, kissers, hair petters. They are 13 and 10- we still kiss, they pet my hair, we cuddle and sometimes all three of us pile into one big bed and sleep together - or rather watch movies and eat junk food til we fall asleep.

    I can't see anything wrong with this photo, or their affection. I think what's really wrong with this world is that the majority DOES see something wrong with affection and love. That's what's sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with being an affectionate family Starr. And if my dad were still alive, I'd still continue to kiss him hello and goodbye on the lips.

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you! My parents were not the touchy-feely type, and neither was I. And bless my husband, it's taken him 10 years to train me that it's okay to hug and snuggle and kiss. And we smother our girls with them. There was no tongue involved - who the frick cares???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the opposite in my house, Melissa. We were a very affectionate family growing up but husband's family was not. He definitely has become much more affectionate, especially towards our daughters, and there's nothing wrong with showing affection.

      Delete
  5. I thought us Brits were supposed to be the uptight ones? We all of course greet our parents by shaking their hand....ok seriously what in the world is wrong with kissing your parent on the mouth? My kids are 15&11 should I stop them now? Or is it just their Dad they shouldn't kiss on the mouth? I'm 41, my dad died 11 years ago, I would do anything for him to be alive so I could kiss him. This "etiquette" expert needs to remove the pole stuck up her arse and realise that proper etiquette would be not to judge, as in if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all..Now that is proper etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I want to know is this: How does one become an 'etiquette expert' anyway? Do they offer that as a major at Harvard? I agree, she should keep her opinions to herself.

      Delete
  6. In what world would it not be 100 times weirder to keep your eyes open for a kiss like that? SMH...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just the image of him kissing anyone grosses me out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People just want to dog this guy. What a frivolous controversy. The camera captured a split second that can now be interpreted however the viewer wants. That's not fair. My mom always tries to kiss me on the lips. I turn my head because she a sloppy kisser (even on the cheek), but she manages to get me sometimes. Some people just do that and it's not wrong or weird, or perverse. It's family. No big whoop. It annoys me when morning shows trot out the "experts" to discuss stuff like this to fill the four hour time slot. What, does Brown University offer a degree in Etiquette. Yeah, and I'm a Bullshit Expert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Several Types Of Kissing and Their Meaning

    One of many easiest ways of expressing your personal emotion to your partner is definitely through kissing. It is the most important aspect of a relationship and romance. 

    ReplyDelete

I do read all comments and try to respond to them. Unless you're trying to get me to visit your website: Cheap Louis Vuitton Bags. Then you can go pound sand.